Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Walking the Neighborhood

During the Christmas vacation I had lots of time to walk the neighborhood around our church and school. Here is what you'll find if you come for a walk.
 Starting out I saw 7 deer in the neighbor's yard across from church. My family of 4 I usually see increased by 3. As you can see they aren't too afraid of people. They stood quite still for awhile for me to take several pictures.


How many do you count in the trees?

Continuing up the road one is going uphill and you can feel the higher elevation and very dry humidity. I see now someone is building a new home. This is one of many in our neighborhood. No signs of a poor housing economy around here.
Now I pause from the top of the road to look down at the great view-why so many people build their homes here in the desert amidst the mountains.


I continue on the road which is gravel, rock and dirt by now and I come to the dead end. The road doesn't go through. Most of the roads here are not maintained by the county and are made by those who own the lots here.
I head back down then towards the church and school to continue my walk in another direction. I meet one of our parishioners at her house and she told me Christmas morning she had 10 javelinas in her driveway with the boar at the end of the long line. Javelinas are not my friends. I would like to see them from the car or house not on my walks.
I continue down to Yaqui Street which is in front of the church and school and behold our neighbors are out riding their horses right next to the church. The other day 6 horses with riders walked past school.

I  now decide to go and check some of my other walking friends. I head down Calle Encinas Road that school is located on and right by our playground one finds this sign:

And here is the road from then on:

Many beautiful homes lie beyond and off of this road. It is amazing at night to see all the lights in the desert below the mountains. They had the best Christmas lights too.
I stop and see my friends---
They are always ready for me to pet them and they love to race the fence line with me.
The dogs belong to one of our students. They also had chickens but a bobcat got them.

Here is the end of my walk where I always think of one of my favorite movies-"The Bells of St. Marys". Remember, "Just dial O for Fr. O'Malley-good old Bing Crosby. Sr. Benedict and the Sisters prayed for the donation of their new school and their prayer was answered at last.
Here is a picture of the house on the corner opposite our school. This is the 2nd time it is up for sale this year. I believe it would make a great convent!

There is even a coral and shed for horses so we can give riding lessons as one of our extracurricular activities.

 This is where I say-"Dial G for God's Help".

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, Sister Carol! I enjoyed our walk and the many relationships you share! Thanks!
    Sister Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed the walk. I love walking in the nature neighborhood around us. Come and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sr. Carol,
    I enjoyed your walk and comments. Thanks for sharing your reflections.
    Love and prayers, Sister June

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sister Carol,
    I enjoy reading about all your adventures and seeing the pictures. I'll add your intentions to my Rosary each day.
    Sister Rosangela

    ReplyDelete